Rochester Public Library Cardholder Rights and Responsibilities
It is the right of all residents of the Rochester Community to apply for and after showing appropriate identification become a Rochester Public Library cardholder.
- All Rochester residents over the age of 5 are eligible to become cardholders.
- Children under the age of 18 must have a parent/guardian sign their library card application.
- Cardholders are encouraged to avail themselves to the materials in the library collection, participate in library sponsored programs, and services of the library which are provided free of cost.
Cardholders in turn are expected to follow the standard code of conduct in a library setting and the circulation policies of the library.
Standard code of conduct includes but is not limited to:
- Behavior that is not disruptive to other patrons.
- No food or drink may be brought into the library.
- No accessing of offensive pictures or language on library computers that may be visible to other library patrons.
- An adult should accompany all children under the age of 8 and should insure their appropriate behavior at all times.
Circulation policy includes but is not limited to:
- Returning borrowed materials on or before the due date stamped on the item.
- Renewing materials if necessary prior to the original due date.
- Responding to all library communications regarding overdue materials in a timely manner.
- Treating library materials with care and returning them in the same condition as borrowed.
- Informing the library in a timely manner of any change in address.
- Acknowledging the librarian’s discretion to limiting quantities of certain materials or services when necessary.